Do your two-way radios require a License

Modified on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 10:06 AM

Yes, all the two-way radio equipment we sell requires an FCC (or Industry Canada license) unless otherwise noted.  We can help you with getting licensed, just ask one of our customer service representatives or your sales person or you can apply for a license yourself using the links below.

From FCC.GOV site:

Personal radio services are short-range, low-power radio communications using devices that operate much like walkie-talkies. Personal radio services include one- and two-way voice services, data services and remote-control transmissions that operate equipment.

Personal radio services devices generally do not rely on transmission towers or other equipment. Some types, especially those using VHF and UHF radio spectrum, encounter significantly less static, noise and fading than CBs or walkie-talkies.

The most popular types of personal radio services are Citizens Band Radio Service, Family Radio Service, General Mobile Radio Service, Low-Power Radio Service and Multi-Use Radio Service. Of these types of services, only General Mobile Radio Service requires an FCC license to operate.

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

  • GMRS is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance, two-way communications.
  • A GMRS system may legally be operated only with an FCC license. The individual licensee is responsible for the proper operation of the GMRS system. A licensee may permit his or her immediate family members to operate the GMRS system.
  • A GMRS system is made up of station operators and a mobile station consisting of one or more mobile units. It may also include one or more land stations. Some land stations operate as repeaters, thereby extending the range of GMRS mobile units.
  • New GMRS licenses are granted only to individuals, but GMRS licenses granted to non-individuals (such as businesses) before July 31, 1987, can be renewed if certain conditions are met. You can apply for a GMRS license online, or by filing FCC Form 605. The FCC sets license filing fees annually, and licenses are granted for 10 years.

Unlicensed radio operation

Be aware that if you operate a radio transmitter that requires a license, or use a radio that is authorized for only a specific service for an unauthorized service, you may be fined or imprisoned, and/or the equipment may be confiscated.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article